Saturday, January 7, 2012

PROJECT LIFE - My Way

If you are interested at all in memory keeping/scrapbooking I am certain you have heard of Becky Higgin's PROJECT LIFE. It's and idea to get back to basics. It was created to make scrapbooking less stressful and simple. I'm giving it a try and here's my story why:

I quit paper scrapbooking after the birth of my second daughter because it was too time consuming and just took up too much room in my house. I couldn't deal with the clutter and the overall stress of getting an album complete.

In 2008 I discovered digital scrapbooking. Less clutter and less mess. It has been such an amazing hobby for me. I have grown so much in digital design and I never bore of creating a new page. It gives me a chance to create memories for my family quickly and creatively. I am on numerous creative teams which has built my confidence. However, I have over 300 pages saved on my hard drive with no place to go. I've printed a few albums, but I make so many pages just for the sake of making pages because of a "cute" kit that comes out and it goes to my folder on my computer and pretty much stops there.

I think back on why I started scrapbooking in the first place. I want to hold on to the memories of our lives. I want my children to have something to look back at and reminisce about. I yearned for a way to do this without giving up my digial scrapbooking hobby.

Project Life encourages you to scrap as you go through the year. It starts with a title page and then you devote a couple of pages to an entire week. You just slip your photos into the little pocket protectors that come with the kit and then journal a bit about it on some pre-printed journaling cards. Genius! I can do this.

So, I tried. But there was something about the kits. EVERYONE was going to have those same little cards. I needed more than that. I needed to have more variety. It looked like it wasn't going to work for me after all. And then I came across shops like The Lily Pad and Oscraps. Their DIGITAL designers were creating their own version of Project Life and one genius even created DIGITAL page pocket protectors. I was sold. I can still create weekly pages, but mine will be digital, where my heart belongs. The difference will be that I WILL be printing my weekly layouts every week and they will immediately go into my three ring binder.

I'm excited and can't wait to continue to share my progress with you. Here is my title page. Wish me luck and I hope you will join me on this journey whether it is the normal PL way or your own way like me!


Credits:
The Bliss Project: Journal Cards: Pack #1 by Gina Miller coming to the lily pad on 1/10/12

No comments: